What do you need to know?
IP Addresses, Cookies & External Website Addresses
As part of gathering information on who visits our websites, we keep track of your IP address, so that we can provide better services. Further, they system places a cookie to understand your interests about the Vision-Aid Academy website. Such cookies will neither collect personal information nor track external website browsing. The Academy may also carry links to other websites that do not belong to Vision-Aid. It is advised to read their policies as well.
What information do we gather, how and when?
Vision-Aid collects information relating to you in these ways:
1. Directly, when you provide information to sign up to use the Academy via registration Forms.
2. Indirectly, through our site’s technology.
3. Subscribing to services, newsletters and alerts, or even providing feedback.
4. We may ask you to complete surveys about your experience of using the Academy and your progress following your participation in our courses.
Data collected includes:
1. Name, Email address, Mobile Number, Gender, Age, Location
2. Learning objectives
3. History of vision impairment, usable vision in terms of acuity and field, percentage of vision loss
4. IP address, Operating system and browser type
Vision-Aid ensures transparency on how we use your personal data, and also by giving you the rights described in the section “User’s rights” below. If Vision-Aid uses personal data for such other purposes other than described in this Policy, it will be stated at the point where it is collected.
How is information collected used by Vision-Aid?
As a global organization, personal data we collect may be transferred internationally throughout VisionAid’s worldwide organization.
We have internal policies in place to ensure an equivalent level of protection is in place for your information throughout across our organization. Specifically, any transfers of your information to other Vision-Aid offices outside your country is governed by Vision-Aid’s binding corporate rules. Currently we have two offices: (i) India and (ii) International Office based out of Boston, USA.
We use your personal data for the following purposes:
1. To impart the education as you would need it.
2. To ensure that the content is presented in an effective manner.
3. To ensure that the Academy is accessible, the features that you are looking for in the system.
4. To use the data for research to make significant improvements to the Academy so that you enjoy the learning experience.
5. Better system administration, to look up user domains and to report on statistics, and to ensure security.
6. Details of your visits to our site and resources you access (including but not limited to, traffic data, location data, weblogs and other communication data). Please see the Cookies section below for more information.
7. To communicate with you about various features, changes to the Academy and related services.
Sharing your personal data with external parties
We share personal data collected only to government related public authorities where necessary in order to comply with any legal obligation. Where we disclose your personal data we shall do so in accordance with our legal obligations. Before sharing any personal data with third parties, we take steps to ensure that your personal data will be given adequate protection as required by relevant data protection laws and Vision-Aid’s internal policies.
Vision-Aid assures to take appropriate steps to maintain the security of personal data collected via Forms and the Academy’s website. This will include anti-virus and anti-hacking utilities installed on our servers. Nevertheless, the open nature of the Internet is such that information and personal data may flow over networks connecting you to our systems without security measures and may be accessed and used by people other than those for whom the data is intended.
Retaining your personal data
We determine the retention period of your personal data based on the following retention criteria:
1. We retain your personal data as long as we have an ongoing relationship with you.
2. We retain your personal data in active state for about 7 years after we have ended our relationship with you. Such data will then be archived for legal purposes.
3. We retain your personal data where we are required to do so by a legal obligation to which we are subject.
4. We retain your personal data where this is advisable to safeguard or improve our legal position (for instance in relation to statutes of limitations, litigation, or regulatory investigations).